If you have a question about items in our sales, image requests or condition reports please direct your requests to the relevant department.
We offer three platforms for bidding online.
Bidding through wallisandwallis.co.uk attracts a charge of 3%+VAT in addition to the Wallis and Wallis buyer’s premium of 22%+VAT. Including VAT, all bids placed through them will therefore attract a total charge of 30% on the hammer price.
Bidding through EasyLiveAuction.com attracts a charge of 3%+VAT in addition to the Wallis and Wallis buyer’s premium of 22%+VAT. Including VAT, all bids placed through them will therefore attract a total charge of 30% on the hammer price.
Please note that EasyLiveAuction offer the alternative of paying an advance registration fee to them of £3 including VAT per sale as an alternative to their 3% commission.
Bidding through the-saleroom.com attracts a charge of 4.95%+VAT in addition to the Wallis and Wallis buyer’s premium of 22%+VAT. Including VAT, all bids placed through them will therefore attract a total charge of 32.34% on the hammer price.
Payment by successful bidders can be made using the following methods:
Please note that we cannot accept credit cards for payment.
During the current climate we are also unable to accept cash payments.
Conditions of Sale
1. The highest accepted bidder for each lot shall be, subject to the Vendor’s reserve (if any), the purchaser thereof. If any dispute shall arise as to any bidding the lot in dispute shall be immediately put up for sale again at the last undisputed bidding, or the dispute may be determined by the Auctioneers. The Auctioneers reserve the right of bidding for, withdrawing from, consolidating or dividing any lots, or varying the order of the sale.
2. No person shall advance less at a bid than a sum to be named from time to time by the Auctioneers and no bid shall be retracted. The Auctioneers may, without giving any reason therefore, refuse to accept the bidding of any person or persons.
3. The purchaser of each lot shall give their name and address and shall (if required) pay the Auctioneers 25 per cent of the purchase money as earnest and in part payment. If any purchaser fails to comply with any of these conditions the lot or lots in question may, if the Auctioneers think fit, be put up again and resold. If upon resale a lower price is obtained for any lots than were obtained from the first sale the difference in price shall be a debt due from the defaulter at the first sale.
4. Every care is taken to ensure accuracy concerning authorship, origin, age, condition, etc., but all such statements represent opinion and are not to be taken as statements or representations of fact. The Auctioneers reserve the right in forming their opinion to consult and rely upon any expert or authority reasonably considered by them to be reliable.
5. Although every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, as stated in paragraph 4 above, no warranty is given with any lots and the Auctioneers are not responsible for the correct description, genuineness or sufficiency of, or any fault or defect in any lot. Any purchaser (home or overseas) who is represented by an Agent in the room and who feels dissatisfied with purchase(s) shall claim against his agent and shall have no claim whatsoever upon the Auctioneers. No sale shall be invalidated by reason of any defect or faults in any of the lots by reason of the lots being incorrectly described in the catalogue, and no compensation shall be paid in respect of any faults or errors of description.
6. Notwithstanding the preceding condition, if within seven days of the receipt of any lot the buyer gives notice in writing to the Auctioneer that the lot sold is a forgery and he returns the lot (within 48 hours, overseas 7 days) in the same condition as it was at the time of the sale to the premises of the Auctioneer and there shows that considered in the light of the terms of the catalogue the lot sold is a forgery, the Auctioneers are authorised to, and will rescind the sale and approach the vendor (if already paid) for the return of the proceeds. Please note: Third Reich German Items - it becomes increasingly difficult to ascertain the authenticity of certain pieces. We catalogue all Third Reich items as seen and offer no guarantee to their authenticity. In view of this Third Reich items purchased are sold and not returnable under the notice 6.
7. Each lot shall be at the Purchaser’s risk from the fall of the hammer, and except in the case of postal bidders shall be cleared away by the purchaser at his or her own expense. Each lot must be paid in full before delivery and in the event of any person purchasing more than one lot the whole must be paid for in full before delivery of any part thereof. No lot shall be removed without a delivery order signed by the Auctioneers or their Clerk. On no account will the assignment or transfer of any lot by the purchaser there be allowed.
8. Purchasers shall be answerable for any damage or loss occasioned by the removal of their respective lots either to the lots or the premises, the amounts of such damage to be assessed by the Auctioneers. After the conclusion of the sale the Auctioneers will not hold themselves responsible if the lots be lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, but they will be left at the sole risk of the purchasers. Purchased lots that have been paid for may be cleared during the auction.
9. Upon failure of any purchaser to comply with any of the above conditions any money deposited by him or her in part payments shall be forfeited to the owner of the lot, he paying there out all expenses. Any lot not paid for within two months of the purchase date shall be resold by public auction or private contract and the deficiency (if any) arising from such a resale together with all expenses attending the same shall be made good by the defaulter at this sale who shall have no claim to any surplus which may arise on a resale.
10. The Auctioneers’ description of conditions of antique and modern firearms is for guidance as collectors’ pieces only and does not refer to their suitability for use. It is recommended that any firearms purchased with a view to being used should first be checked by a competent gunsmith. The Auctioneers can accept no responsibility if these weapons are fired.
11. The above applies to all commission bidders, and where an agent purchases on behalf of an undisclosed client such an agent shall be personally liable for payment of the purchase price to the Auctioneers and for safe delivery of the lot to the said client.
12. Vendors who send for sale by auction any goods that are an asset of their business must inform the auctioneers if they are registered for VAT purposes and, if so, the registration number must be given.
13. Bids are accepted on the understanding that a 22% buying premium will be added to the purchase price and the Auctioneers are NOT responsible for any bids submitted which may inadvertently include this 22% buying premium. The buying premium is subject to VAT at the current rate. Live online bidding by easyliveAuction.com will incur an extra 3% +VAT to this standard charge of 22% +VAT (Unless selecting the £3 Flat Fee option in which case no 3% Internet surcharge shall be applied) and bidding via the-saleroom.com will incur an additional 4.95% +VAT.
15. Wallis & Wallis reserve the right, if necessary, to delay payment to the Vendors, pending receipt of moneys to complete overseas and home transactions.
16. Online bids through easyliveAuction.com attract a charge of 3%+VAT in addition to the Wallis & Wallis buyer’s premium of 22%+VAT. (Unless selecting the £3 Flat Fee option in which case no 3% Internet surcharge shall be applied).
17. Online bids through thesaleroom.com attract a charge of 4.95%+VAT in addition to the Wallis & Wallis buyer’s premium of 22%+VAT.
Grades of Condition
Excellent - Virtually original state.
VGC - (Very Good Condition) a fine item.
GC - (Good Condition) a sound item.
QGC - (Quite Good Condition) some wear and/or damage.
FC - (Fair Condition) much wear and/or damage, or parts missing.
POOR - Items seldom catalogued in this state unless rarity or historical value makes them nevertheless worthy of collection.
AF - (At Fault or As Found)
WO - (Working Order) is used to describe functioning items in conjunction with grades of condition, eg VGWO&C - (Very Good Working Order and Condition), GWO&QGC - (Good Working Order and Quite Good Condition), etc.
The following grades apply to Orders, Decorations, Medals and Coins:
EF Extremely Fine
NEF Nearly Extremely Fine
VF Very Fine
GF Good Fine
VG Very Good